Wednesday, July 21, 2010

NCAR Day Two

I've been moved up to a nice, open cubicle. I'm able to focus on my work, and I don't know where I'm staying past tomorrow night. Yikes!

I have offers from two people I know from Cornell for floorspace, or couchspace, and I'm in contact with one or two people regarding room rentals for next week. I may be bopping around quite a bit. Tonight I'm going to look into Hostels, because I think that wouldn't be all that bad, and I've never been in one before.

The trip so far has been an interesting experience, with some relaxing, some good work, and many frustrations. First, is the housing problem, but I'm sure I'll find something. Second, and I just realized this today, the bike I bought/rented last night has a bad back wheel. When I press hard of the pedals, the back wheel nicks the left side of the bike frame and creates an artificial braking effect. Not fun for a long bike ride. So I'm going to take the bike back to Play-it-Again sports and see what they say. I payed $100 for the bike, and they've agreed to buy it back for $50 when I'm done. If this wheel thing is something that can be fixed for ~$20, I'll go for it. Otherwise I'll return it tonight and just live off of the shuttles and buses. I'd like to bike around, but not for too much money and not at too much of a cost. I'll be fine with my backpack and suitcase, but a backpack and suitcase and faulty bike is a little much.

I'm enjoying the time I'm spending with Mary. She's very nice, delightfully intellectual, and has great taste in books and movies. This morning we stayed up and chatted about Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Neal Stephenson, Phillip Pullman, Beowolf, audiobooks, movie adaptations, among other things. She has two cats (Luna and Chism), which are friendly and a delight.

Here in NCAR, I've met a few people that I'll be working more closely with these next few days. There are a lot of researchers here for long-term, mid-term, and short-term stints. As a two-weeker, I feel welcomed but not embraced.

I am off now to return my bike. I'll walk and take the shuttle and bus the rest of my time here. Keep it simple, Ben. Today was a day where I got almost nothing done, which is not why I am here. That's frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment