Monday, November 22, 2010

Pre-Thanksgiving Weekend of Food


This weekend was filled with food, apparently in preparation for Thanksgiving weekend. I took pictures of pretty much everything I ate all weekend long. I'll include recipes (and proper names for the Indian Dishes Thanks Asha!) soon enough.

 First, on Friday night, Sheila and I made some Butternut Squash Apple Soup and Whole Wheat Irish Soda Bread. Two of Sheila's friends came over, and we made some bubble tea and watched My Neighbor Totoro. Awesome movie. Even if he is the angel of death.

 On Saturday, Sheila came over and we joined forces with Mr. Yeasty McNoodlyeyes (pictured above) to make a loaf of Mushroom-Onion Focaccia, two loaves of Cherry-Chocolate Bread, and a Quinoa-Walnut Loaf for Friendsgiving later that night.

 Sheila prepares to squish onions and mushrooms into her bread. Can you see the fear in her eyes?

Here's the disturbing pre-bake Cherry-Chocolate Bread. It looks...alive. It only tried to crawl away once.

 Like a surgeon, I sliced the Chocolate-Cherry, trying not to slice to deep.

I failed. I thought I killed the loaf on the left. 

But it still turned out okay. 

 
Especially when it was sliced and toasted.

 Sheila pokes the Focaccia, just like the recipe told her to.

 Things smelled so good that a neighborhood squirrel started to chew on a nearby cow skull.

 The Foccaccia came out of the oven a perfect golden brown.

Friendgiving was hosted at Lauren and Matt's house on Saturday night. The food was awesome. The company was delightful.

 Here's a plate from Friendsgiving. Moving clockwise from the left, there's the Focaccia, stuffing, the Quinoa loaf with Mushroom Gravy, some stuffed pasta, more quinoa, some greens, and a garbanzo bean salad.

The next day, Becky and Chris hosted an Indian food afternoon meal masterminded by Asha.

 For appetizers, we had some bhel puri a sort of puffed rice salad.

 Followed by poha (beaten rice, potatoes, veggies, and spices).

 The main course was jasmine rice, daal (lentils), baingan ka bharta (a spicy eggplant dish), curry naan, and some garlic and coriander naan. For dessert, there was khubani ha meetha (apricot-prune mixture with cream and almonds).

And here is Zoe, commanding me to put away my camera.

1 comment:

  1. I like how Googley morphed into Mr. Yeasty McNoodleyeyes. ;) sheiabeila

    ReplyDelete